We don’t often repost articles on this blog. But I thought this one on Digiday was worth sharing. It’s a London-based product designer’s take on why agencies are bleeding young talent while startups are picking them up. The author’s litany of condemnation for big agencies:
1. You won’t stop taking on shit work.
2. You don’t innovate, even though you say you do.
3. You keep hiring dead weight (and do nothing about it).
4. You don’t stop taking on projects that can’t be delivered unless we work 12-hour days.
5. You don’t give staff any credit.
6. You don’t buy us decent equipment.
Not all large agencies fit this dire mold. But I’ve worked at one or two that did. It’s good to recognize the bad out there so you can avoid it. And it’s go to recognize the good, so you can run towards it. Read the full article here.